At Dental Care for Children in Calgary, we believe that good oral hygiene habits should start early, even before your baby’s first tooth emerges. As a pediatric dentist, we want to help parents take care of their baby’s teeth from age 0-3 to set the stage for a lifetime of healthy teeth and gums.
Here are some tips we recommend for parents:
- Clean the gums: Before the baby’s teeth emerge, parents should clean the gums with a clean, damp washcloth or gauze pad after feeding.
- Start brushing: As soon as the baby’s first tooth appears, parents should start brushing their teeth with a soft-bristled brush and a tiny amount of fluoride toothpaste (about the size of a grain of rice).
- Avoid sugary drinks: Parents should avoid giving their babies sugary drinks, such as juice or soda, and should only give them formula, breast milk, or water.
- Limit bottle time: If parents give their babies a bottle, they should avoid letting them fall asleep with it, as this can cause tooth decay.
- Visit the dentist: Parents should take their baby to the dentist for their first checkup by their first birthday, and then regularly thereafter.
Neglecting baby teeth can lead to cavities and other dental problems that can affect the child’s oral health for the rest of their life. Baby teeth play an important role in a child’s overall oral health as they help children chew and speak properly, and hold space in the jaw for permanent teeth that will eventually grow in.
At Dental Care for Children, we offer a playful waiting room and kid-friendly exam rooms, creating a welcoming environment that puts children at ease. Our experienced team of pediatric dentists uses gentle techniques to ensure a comfortable visit for your little one. We also provide educational resources to help parents understand how to best care for their child’s teeth at home.
So, whether you’re looking for a Calgary dentist or pediatric dentist, let us help you set your child up for a lifetime of smiles. Contact Dental Care for Children today to schedule your child’s appointment and take the first step towards great oral health!